This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Traveling with only a carry on bag is the best way to travel. The prices of checked bags is becoming more and more pricey and the airlines continue to change bag weight/size restrictions. So if you haven't, now is the time to join team carry on! In this post, I will show you how I travel with only a carry on bag.
I travel at least once a month and each time I travel, I only bring a carry on - no matter how long I am staying or how many looks I bring. I have traveled to Italy, Turks and Caicos, Aruba, Maldives, Jamaica and sooo many more places with only a carry on bag.
Here is a video I posted on TikTok showing how I packed a carry on for a week in Palm Springs.
@melrwhite My favorite travel hack! Carry ons only 🙌🏽 All items are linked in my Amazon store under “travel” or “as seen on tiktok” #packing #howtopack #howtopacksuitcase #fyp ♬ original sound - Mel
Here are the items that I listed in my video:
Make a Packing List:
If you have been trying to figure out how to travel with only a carry on, then I recommend making a packing list. I ALWAYS make a list of things I need to pack, outfits I will wear, hair tools I will need or anything else. I find that when I make a list, I pack only what I need. When I don't use a list, I tend to start packing "what ifs" and just keep throwing things in the bag. I write down what I will wear each day, that way I only pack necessities. I be sure to try on my looks before packing, to make sure they all fit and look cute.
Here are some of my favorite tips for how to travel with only a carry on bag!
- Make sure your toiletries are all 3 oz. or less. I keep a toiletry bag only for travel already packed and I only go in there at home to refill any products that are low. I have all of my products in travel size containers and I keep them in a ziplock bag, just in case something leaks.
- Make sure you have everything organized so going through security will be a breeze.
- Make sure you check the airlines carry on bag size restriction. I use a Delsey carry on bag and I find that it is so roomy and the hard outer case protects everything inside.
- Keep in mind that all liquids need to be under 3 oz. This includes makeup, so make sure that your foundation is under that.
- Don't forget that you also get a personal item. I like to pack my expensive and important items in my personal item. Just in case the airline makes everyone check all rolling bags, your most important stuff is safe with you. If you bring a carry on duffel bag, you wouldn't have to check that because it can most likely fit under your seat.
I hope this post and video has helped someone to learn how to pack better! If you have any other tips, leave them in the comments below. 🙂
Other Posts You May Like: