This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
If I got a dollar every time I heard someone say “I need a vacation”, I would be rolling in dough.
Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don’t need to escape.
Life isn’t always going to be what you envisioned it to be. Work may be fine, but most of the time you are just watching the time go by. Days, weeks, months, maybe even years have go by, and while you’ve may have had a good time, you have constant feelings of doubt that this may not be the life you’re supposed to be living.
You have options just like anyone. You can join the many that continue to stay busy, ignore your intuition, push these fears aside, and push through life looking forward to semi-annual vacations. You know those vacations, the ones where you go away for a few days, take lots of pics and videos for the gram then hop back on the plane to the job that pays for it all. When its all said and done, you’ll probably end up with a nice retirement package and relative financial and familial stability — and that’s great and respectable and comfortable, there’s no denying that.
However, is that what you want for yourself? Is that what you dreamed of for yourself when you were a kid. Did you dream of writing a novel, owning your own salon, becoming an actress or a singer? When you really think of it, I think we all can admit, it would be awesome to have a life that makes you truly happy, where existential crises about your significance and your happiness aren’t countenanced on the daily.
Of course, you can argue that the grass may not be greener on the other side. Which is true! A job doesn’t dictate your happiness. However, the satisfaction of knowing you are doing exactly what you want to be doing – what you’ve always dreamed of doing – in your career, your relationships, your day to day living may just be enough to keep you happy with the life you have. Because as we all know, vacations go by so fast!
Here are a few ways you can create the life you don’t need a vacation from:
- Move to another city or country – While this may not be the answer for everyone, it can open you up to new and different possibilities, people, culture and a different way of life. If you don’t love it, you can always return. You will return with a better understanding of yourself and what you want or don’t want. It can give you a new perspective.
- Live below your means – This is a good one. We all look at Instagram/ Facebook/ Twitter everyday and we see people posting nice things. Naturally, we will wish we can have them. What you don’t know is what some people had to go through to obtain those things. So many people will spend spend spend just to keep up or “look the part” (aka Keep up with the Jones’). Soon, you will have all these material items but be broke and in debt. That leads to you having to work more to pay those bills. Which keeps you stuck at your job. Like a hamster in a wheel. For what, just for a few likes. If you don’t have it, you don’t have it. That is ok! You can still be cute on a budget!
- Meditate – each day take a few minutes to block out any distractions and envision who you really are and what you really want.
- Eliminate trying to prove yourself to people – Really, who gives a shit what anyone thinks! If you live your life trying to impress others all the time, you will never be truly happy. Worrying what others think will always get in the way of what you want. I found that telling people your goals and dreams doesn’t always mean people will cheer you on. Sometimes people secretly may not want you to succeed and will try and tear your ideas down so you won’t progress. I saw a post today that said, “Just because a person is by your side doesn’t mean they are on your side”. If I cared about what people thought, I wouldn’t be doing anything I do today. I wouldn’t have started this blog, I would post anything I post, or anything else. I could care less if anyone doesn’t like me for their own personal reasons. What others think of you is none of your business! Do you!
- Narrow down what you need to leave behind you – Think of a time when you said to yourself “I need an island vacation” or “I could use a drink”, what was causing you to say that? It could be your job, a not so happy relationship or whatever else. Once you realize what it is, you can begin to eliminate it from your life.
- Change the way you think – Humans seem to be wired to think of the negative and to complain. Take control of your mind and reflect more on what you have been blessed with. Think about all of the good in your life and things will become significantly better. There are so many people with worse off situations than you. Once you do that, you may not feel you need to “escape”.
- Assess your circle of friends – Sometimes your friends may be the problem. Do your friends always complain, aren’t trying to level up, deter you from your goals? Then they may be the issue. Seek out people with similar interests. Be around people that have the lives you want to emulate. Now, I am not saying build phony relationships. Genuinely, form lasting and meaningful relationships. Or read up on people that inspire you. Find out what they did to get where they are.
- Do something different – People feel like happiness comes from not doing things that make them unhappy. No. Get out and put some effort into your life. Go out dancing, go to happy hours with friends, go on weekend getaways, set regular spa days and pamper yourself, do something. Unhappiness is a mood that we don’t have time for.
- Create a plan – Who do you hang out with? What do you guys do? Are you ok with your job or does the life you want require more money. If so, write down all of your thoughts and create a plan. Make shit happen!
All of these things can help you live a better life. Don’t stay stuck in the unhappy bubble. You have the same hours in a day we all have. Live the life you always wanted for yourself – a life you don’t necessarily need a vacation from. If you really want to live and take a nice trip, check out my guide to Maldives!