This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
This Monday is my birthday!!! YAY!! We (The Unit) are going to Anguilla and some other surrounding islands to celebrate the day this Queen was born lol. Guess who is also coming with us….AnnDrew! She has traveled a lot with us so I’ve mastered traveling with her. The first time she traveled with us, I like most moms overpacked. Big Time. Now, I got this. I made a quick list of the absolute must haves I use when traveling with the baby. The picture links are clickable and will take you right to the site for purchase. 😉
- I must have my nursing cover, so I can breast feed her on take off and landing. Can’t have everyone seeing my tatas. Cover em up ladies!! They aren’t paying you for a free show lol. The sucking prevents her ears from popping. You know uncomfortable the pressure can make your ears feel, so imagine the pain a baby must feel.
- I gotsta have some puffs!! If you don’t know, listen to me when I tell you these things are magical. If she decides she wants to be fussy, just pop one in her mouth and Viola…silence lol but only for about 3-4 seconds. They are great for when you are waiting to board your flight and while waiting for the plane to take off. Good thing the serving size is 67 or something like that. Babies LOVE puffs (I tear these things up).
- I always carry hand sanitizer and I carry an organic one for the baby. They somehow manage to touch everything in a matter of seconds and the airport is full of germs so sanitizer is a must.
- I keep a blanket for the baby just in case it’s cold on the plane.
- Depending on where I am going, I will bring either the Bjorn baby carrier or the stroller. The GB Qbit stroller is the one we use for traveling. This stroller is awesome because I am able to fold it down with one hand and it fits in the overhead compartment on the plane. I like to carry the baby in the Bjorn through the airport because I have my hands free. It’s a win win, because she likes to be carried and I can still do what I need to do. She usually falls asleep while walking through the airport which is great.
- One thing I haven’t used but I saw others mom using, is the travel cot for the plane. This is great for long flights. As much as we love our babies, you really don’t want to hold them the entire flight.
- Last but not least the for real for real essentials that stay in the baby bag- lots of diapers, wipes, teething ring, A&D ointment to prevent irritation on the baby’s bottom, baby food, bibs, spoons, 2 change of clothes for baby and a changing pad to be able to change her diaper in public restrooms. I always keep a water bottle in there for me just in case I get thirsty.
Great post. Thank you Mel for sharing. What do you travel with when you need the car seat? Do you check the car seat before getting on plane or use one of those stroller/car seat fancy gadgets . I’m trying to figure out which one to use because it seems I can save space in the trunk when traveling with that stroller/car seat idea. But not sure.
Also… how do you travel as a unit and still find time as a couple? I would like to take my little one on vacation with us too but I keep trying figure out how I can I take time for us without having a babysitter or taking grandma to help us. I was thinking we would have to still put her down to sleep at her bedtime because I wouldn’t want to sleep train all over again when I got back. So we would put her down around 7:30 then maybe just chill in the room and order some drinks to relax in the room or balcony so we don’t wake her. I’m still not sure how moms do it 🙁 any advice. I’m worried my expected vacation wouldn’t be a vacation if I have to be sleep by a certain time and possibly have to tend to her during the night if she happens to wake up, which she does looking for that darn paci. I always wondered how moms make a couples vacation work with the little one there. Any ideas since you’ve traveled with Anndrew before as a unit ? Thanks 😉
As a unit LOL yessss! We put her down to sleep at 7:30 also. When the baby sleeps is a good time to have couple time. I called the hotel and requested a crib, so we can continue our regimen. One idea is everyone can go sit out by the beach or the pool (around baby bedtime) and let the baby go to sleep. Bring a blanket and something to cover the baby. Then when baby is sleep, you guys can chill with some wine on the beach/by the pool. That is cute and romantic. If you don’t have anyone to watch the baby, that would be my best suggestion. Because really when you travel with a baby, couple time can get tricky. The baby is like “look Ma, you’re the one that brought me here! Now tend to me” LOL
Good idea. Okay, I thought that I was the only one that thought it was tricky. Have a wonderful vaca!! Thanks again. I love the beach sleep idea. I guess one just has to stop thinking about it and just try it. If it works great and if not try something else. It’s all a learning experience anyway as a new mommy.
Thank you! Yes, try it! It may be nice 😉 let me know how it works out.
Thank you! When I brought the car seat with us, I checked it once I got to the airport. One time I did have the car seat and our travel stroller but that was a lot and I didn’t end up using the stroller that much when we got to our destination. So now if I need the car seat, I only bring the baby carrier with me. If you absolutely need the stroller, I suggest checking the car seat at the gate. It’s way easier and they have it waiting in a separate section for you at baggage claim.
That makes a lot of sense. As I think about it, I never use my stroller when I travel home but always bring it :-/ good point. Thanks (TTBOD) chica great info!