Over the weekend, my family and I celebrated my great uncle’s birthday party. My cousin planned it and it was the best surprise he ever received. A lot of family popped up and surprised him good! We got in a day late, so we missed the actual surprise but we popped up in church during one of the hymns and when he saw us his mouth dropped. It was super special and we had a great time.
My cousin chose to celebrate in Charleston, South Carolina and after visiting the city, I know why. Charleston is very rich in history, super pretty and has great food to eat. After hanging with the fam, I decided to explore the town a bit and check out what it had to offer. I found a few great spots that are must sees when you visit Charleston.
- Rainbow Row – an area full of the most “instagram worthy” homes. They are all painted the prettiest colors.
- The Battery – Beautiful waterfront homes and this area is full of history dating back to the Civil War.
- Boat Tours – There are so many tours you can schedule and just relax, eat, drink and have fun.
- Charleston City Market – it a great glimpse into life in the Old South. It is often referred to as the “Slave Market” because it was here that slaves would purchase food for the plantation. Today, the market buzzes with residents and visitors alike, perusing stalls loaded with toys, clothes, leather goods and regional souvenirs.
- Mongolia Plantation & Gardens – super pretty place to visit. General admission, which includes access to the gardens, the petting zoo, the conservatory, the orientation theater, the peacock cafe and the old African American cabin, is $20 for adults and $10 for children ages 6 to 12.
- Sullivan’s Island & Folly Beach- Beaches to visit
- The Pineapple Fountain – AnnDrew and a bunch of other kids had a ball there! It’s a huge fountain squirting water in different directions that the kids get to play in.
- Charleston Food Tours – a must do
- Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry
- South Carolina Aquarium – perfect for the kids!
While there are many more things to do, these are my top 10! We loved walking around the city and exploring. It is super hot down there, so if you plan on visiting – pack light! I will definitely go back to visit. Enjoy some of our pics from the trip.